D2W Plastics, what are they?
D2W plastic refers to plastic materials treated with an additive known as “degradable plastic additives” or “oxo-biodegradable additives.” These additives accelerate the degradation and breakdown of plastic into smaller particles through exposure to oxygen and ultraviolet light.
The resulting smaller particles are then more easily biodegraded by microorganisms, ultimately resulting in the conversion of plastic into natural substances such as water, carbon dioxide, and biomass.
D2W plastic is a more environmentally friendly alternative to traditional plastics, as it is designed to break down more quickly and with less harm to the environment.
Two Possible Futures
If we assume the same rate of plastic waste and disposal methods as today, and the only options available are traditional plastics and D2W plastics, D2W plastics would drastically reduce pollution in the long run.
This is because D2W plastics are designed to break down faster than traditional plastics, which can persist in the environment for hundreds of years. They are intended to biodegrade faster and with less environmental harm than traditional plastics.
It is important to note that the most effective way to address the problem of plastic pollution is to reduce plastic waste at the source through measures such as reducing plastic use, improving recycling infrastructure, and promoting sustainable alternatives to single-use plastics. However, if all plastics were converted into D2W, the contamination we currently face would be drastically reduced.
According to a study published in the journal Science Advances, an estimated 8.3 billion metric tons of plastic have been produced since the early 1950s, and approximately 6.3 billion metric tons of plastic waste have been generated. It is estimated that around 8 million metric tons of plastic waste enter the ocean each year. Imagine the impact of that plastic only lasting mere months as opposed to hundreds of years.
D2W Benefits For Your Business
Transitioning to biodegradable plastics as a business owner can have many positive impacts, including:
- Environmental benefits: Biodegradable plastics break down faster than traditional plastics, which can help reduce the amount of plastic waste in landfills and oceans. By using biodegradable plastics, your business could have a positive impact on the environment.
- Improved brand image: Many consumers are becoming more environmentally conscious and may be more likely to choose products made with biodegradable plastics. By using biodegradable plastics, you could attract these environmentally-minded customers and potentially improve your brand image.
- Compliance with regulations: Some jurisdictions may require businesses to use biodegradable plastics or face fines or penalties. Transitioning to biodegradable plastics could help you stay in compliance with these regulations.
- Innovation: Transitioning to biodegradable plastics can require changes in your production processes, stimulating innovation and new ideas within your company.
Overall, transitioning to biodegradable plastics can have a positive impact on your business and the environment while also potentially improving your brand image and stimulating innovation within your company.
One example of a company that has successfully transitioned to biodegradable plastics is Nestlé Waters.
In 2018, Nestlé Waters announced that it would transition to 100% recycled or reusable plastic bottles for its water brands by 2025. As part of this effort, the company has been exploring the use of biodegradable plastics.
In 2020, Nestlé Waters announced that it had successfully produced a prototype of a 100% biodegradable water bottle made from plant-based materials. The bottle was made from sustainably-sourced wood pulp and was fully biodegradable in marine environments within three weeks.
This innovation has the potential to significantly reduce the environmental impact of Nestlé Waters’ products, while also meeting increasing consumer demand for sustainable packaging options. In addition, the company’s efforts to transition to biodegradable plastics and other sustainable packaging options have helped to improve its brand image and reputation.
This is just one example of a company that has successfully transitioned to biodegradable plastics and seen positive results. Other companies, such as Coca-Cola and Danone, have also made commitments to transition to biodegradable plastics and other sustainable packaging options, demonstrating the growing trend towards environmentally-conscious business practices.
- “Nestlé Waters Develops 100% Recyclable and Biodegradable Bottle” – Beverage Daily: https://www.beveragedaily.com/Article/2020/10/28/Nestle-Waters-develops-100-recyclable-and-biodegradable-bottle
- “Nestlé Waters North America Advances Efforts to Make 100% Recyclable or Reusable Packaging a Reality” – Nestlé Waters: https://www.nestle-watersna.com/en/nestle-waters-north-america-advances-efforts-to-make-100-recyclable-or-reusable-packaging-a-reality
- “Nestle Waters Pioneers 100% Recycled Plastic Bottle for UK Market” – Food Navigator: https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2018/02/08/Nestle-Waters-pioneers-100-recycled-plastic-bottle-for-UK-market
Why D2w Biodegradable Plastics Benefit You
Using biodegradable plastics in your products can be a positive marketing and sales tool for your business, particularly if your customers are environmentally conscious. Here are some ways that transitioning to biodegradable plastics can benefit your company:
- Improved brand image: By using biodegradable plastics, you demonstrate that your company is committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility. This can help improve your brand image and appeal to customers who value these qualities in a business.
- Attract environmentally conscious customers: Many consumers are becoming more environmentally conscious and actively seeking products and companies that prioritize sustainability. By using biodegradable plastics, you can appeal to these customers and potentially increase your sales.
- Meet regulatory requirements: Some jurisdictions may require businesses to use biodegradable plastics or face fines or penalties. By transitioning to biodegradable plastics, you can ensure compliance with these regulations and avoid potential penalties or negative publicity.
- Positive word of mouth: Customers who are happy with your environmentally-friendly practices may share their positive experiences with others, which can help spread the word about your business and products.
Overall, transitioning to biodegradable plastics can have a positive impact on your brand image, customer base, and potentially your bottom line. By marketing your use of biodegradable plastics as a sustainable and environmentally responsible choice, you can differentiate your products from those of competitors who are still using traditional plastics.